BLESSED VIRGIN MARY: our example?
Here are some thoughts suitable to print off and use as a guide when buying clothes.
An encouragement to copy the example of the Blessed Virgin Mary, mother of Jesus Christ.
Addressed, originally to women who are Christians.
But relevant, in principal, to men also and to persons of whatever belief-system.
* To be Mary-like is to be modest without compromise.
* Mary-like dresses have sleeves reaching the elbows and skirts reaching the knees.
* Mary-like dresses fully cover chest, shoulders and back and are cut no lower than two inches below the neckline.
* Mary-like dresses avoid transparent fabrics, inappropriate use of flesh-coloured material etc.
* Mary-like dresses conceal rather than reveal the figure of the wearer and do not emphasise unduly parts of the body.
These Mary-like standards are a helpful guide to inspire a sense of modesty and respect.
They help to avoid the causing of sinful thoughts or embarrassment or shame in other people.